- Deirmengian, C., et al. Validation of the Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test for Periprosthetic Joint Infection. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Nov 5, 2020. DOIi: 10.2106/JBJS.20.00749.
- Deirmengian C, et al. Diagnosing Periprosthetic Joint Infection: Has the Era of the Biomarker Arrived? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Nov;472(11):3254-62, 2014.
- Deirmengian C, et al. Combined Measurement of Synovial Fluid a-Defensin and C-reactive Protein Levels: Highly Accurate for Diagnosing Periprosthetic Joint Infection. Journal of Joint and Bone Surgery Am. Sep 3;96(17):1439-45, 2014.
- Shahi A, et al. The alpha-defensin Test for Periprosthetic Joint Infections is Not Affected by Prior Antibiotic Administration. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Jul;474(7):1610-5, 2016.
- Miyamae Y., et al. Diagnostic Accuracy of the Alpha-Defensin Test for Periprosthetic Joint Infection in Patients with Inflammatory Diseases. Journal of Arthroplasty. 34(8):1767-1771, 2019
- Deirmengian C, et al. The C-reactive Protein May Not
Detect Infections Caused by Less-Virulent Organisms. Journal of
Arthroplasty. 31:152-155, 2016.
When You Need to Know Now
The first of its kind, the Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test is specifically designed as an aid for the diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection (PJI). The test delivers same day results with speed and accuracy.1
- Infection Diagnostics
- Revision Knee
- Revision Hip
The Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test offers a rapid and accurate positive/negative result (10 minutes) to aid in diagnosis of PJI.
vs. sensitivity standard of care criteria1
vs. specificity standard of care criteria1*
* Excluding samples with >20% blood
The Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test is a standalone,
rapid device for detecting alpha defensin in synovial fluid,
an antimicrobial peptide released into the body through activated
neutrophils in response to an infection. In cases of PJI, a patient
will have elevated levels of alpha defensin in their
synovial fluid. The test received FDA authorization in 2019 as a CLIA
moderately complex test.
Clinical findings show that alpha defensin test results are not influenced by:
- Prior antibiotic administration1,3,4
- Comorbidities related to inflammation1,3,5
- Type and/or virulence of the organism1,3,6
A clinical multi-center study also showed no statistically significant difference in test performance between the Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test and Synovasure Alpha Defensin ELISA laboratory test.1
- 94.3% sensitivity and 94.5% specific vs. standard of care criteria1
- Same-day results - rapid positive/negative alpha defensin result in 10 minutes
Low Required Test Volume
- Low synovial fluid volume requirement – Only 15 microliters
required for test performance
Control Kit Available
- Postitive and negative alpha defensin controls available as part of Synovasure Alpha Defensin Control Kit
Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test Brochure
Description of the value of the Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test
Synvosure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test
Synovasure Alpha Defensin Control Kit – How to Use
What is Alpha Defensin
Synovasure Diagnostics Product Offerings
650 Naamans Road
Claymont, DE 19703 USA
Tailored resources for your patients.
Find videos, articles, and interactive content to guide your patients throughout their surgical journey on ReadyPatient.com, our deidcated patient recovery site.
All content herein is protected by copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property rights, as applicable, owned by or licensed to Zimmer Biomet or its affiliates unless otherwise indicated, and must not be redistributed, duplicated or disclosed, in whole or in part, without the express written consent of Zimmer Biomet.
This material is intended for health care professionals. Distribution to any other recipient is prohibited.
For product information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse effects and patient counseling information, see the package insert and information on this website. To obtain a copy of the current Instructions for Use (IFU) for full prescribing and risk information, please call 1-800-348-2759, press 4 for 411 Technical Support.