The Zimmer Universal Locking System is a comprehensive system of straight and formed plates indicated for temporary internal fixation and stabilization of osteotomies and fractures. The system is designed to combine the principles of interfragmentary compression and bridging. The plates have figure-8 shaped holes that accommodate both standard screws and locking screws on either side of the hole. The locking screws have threaded heads that are threaded into the plate holes. The plate can be used as a compression plate, a locked internal fixator, or an internal fixation system combining both techniques.
The variety and compatibility among the components result in more fixation options, as well as enhanced fixation in difficult fractures. The system is indicated for osteotomies, comminuted fractures, supracondylar fractures, extra-articular fractures, fractures in osteopenic bone, nonunions, and malunions.
- Combination locking and compression holes create a figure-8 shaped hole that provides locking capability at either side of the hole
- Applies bi-directional axial compression within the construct
- Provides up to 80° longitudinal (non-locking) screw angulation
- Plates can be applied submuscularly, with or without a guide
- Apply the implant as an internal fixator to bridge comminuted zones while providing stable fixation
- Allows the use of standard screws as well as locking screws in the same construct