- Shane J. Nho, 1 Edward C. Beck,2 Kyle N. Kunze,1 Kelechi Okoroha,1 and Sunikom Suppauksorn1 . Contemporary Management of the Hip Capsule During Arthroscopic Hip Preservation Surgery. CurrRev Musculoskelet Med. 2019 Sep; 12(3): 260–270. Publishedonline 2019 Jul 5. doi: 10.1007/s12178-019-09564-4
- Matsuda DK. Acute iatrogenic dislocation following hip impingement arthroscopic surgery. Arthroscopy. 2009 Apr;25(4):400-4.
- Mei-Dan, Omer et al. Catastrophic Failure of Hip Arthroscopy Due to Iatrogenic Instability: Can Partial Division of the Ligamentum Teres and Iliofemoral Ligament Cause Subluxation? Arthroscopy, March2012, Volume 28, Issue 3, 440 – 445
- Joshua D. Harris, M.D., William Slikker, III, M.D., Anil K. Gupta,M.D., M.B.A., Frank M. McCormick, M.D., and Shane J. Nho, M.D.,M.S.• Routine Complete Capsular Closure During Hip Arthroscopy. Arthrosc Tech. 2013 May; 2(2): e89–e94. Published online 2013 Mar 17. doi: 10.1016/j.eats.2012.11.007
- Domb, Benjamin G. et al. Patient-Reported Outcomes ofCapsular Repair Versus Capsulotomy in Patients Undergoing HipArthroscopy: Minimum 5-Year Follow-up—A Matched Comparison Study. Arthroscopy, March 2018, Volume 34, Issue 3, 853 - 863.e1
Management of the hip capsule has evolved over recent years with an increased awareness of the functional and clinical benefits of capsular closure1. A shift toward more routine capsule closures has occurred amongst a growing number of hip surgeons due to these clinical findings.
Clinical studies have demonstrated unrepaired hip capsules can lead to: Iatrogenic instability2, 3, 4 pain1,4,5 and a high rate for revision arthroscopy1,2 and conversion to arthroplasty5. A study conducted by Benjamin Domb, M.D. suggests that, depending on patient pathology, capsule closure should be considered in all patients5.
The Dragon Tongue Suture Passing Device was designed to help surgeons efficiently perform single portal capsular closure.
Extended Delivery Range of Reach
Adjustable slide assists in delivering at least 30 mm of suture, creating an easily graspable suture loop
Designed for single portal capsular repair and is not dependent on angle of approach
Range of Reach
Easily capture the delivered suture loop at any position with near and far grasping abilities
Nitinol grasper can open and close at any location along its 30 mm of extension beyond the needle shaft
Nitinol grasper advances out of the needle shaft at 60° and continues to extend further to a 90° bend
Capture with Precision
Grab suture where it’s at with the Dragon Tongue device’s active grasping design
The PEEK tubing extends over the nitinol grasper to close the nitinol over the suture
Dragon Tongue Suture Passer Messaging Animation
Tailored resources for your patients.
Find videos, articles, and interactive content to guide your patients throughout their surgical journey on ReadyPatient.com, our dedicated patient recovery site.
All content herein is protected by copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property rights, as applicable, owned by or licensed to Zimmer Biomet or its affiliates unless otherwise indicated, and must not be redistributed, duplicated or disclosed, in whole or in part, without the express written consent of Zimmer Biomet.
This material is intended for health care professionals. Distribution to any other recipient is prohibited.
For product information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse effects and patient counseling information, see the package insert and information on this website. To obtain a copy of the current Instructions for Use (IFU) for full prescribing and risk information, please call 1-800-348-2759, press 4 for 411 Technical Support.