- Bragdon, C. et al. Clinical Multicenter Studies of the Wear Performance of Highly Crosslinked Remelted Polyethylene in THA. Clin Orthop Relat Res (2013) 471:393-402.
- Mimnaugh,K. et al. 100 Million-Cycle Wear Evaluation of Crosslinked Vitamin E Grafted Polyethylene (VE-HXPE) Acetabular Liners.Paper No. 0403. ORS 2016 Annual Meeting.
- Oral, E. et, al. Crosslinked Vitamin E Blended UHMWPE with Improved Grafting and Wear Resistance. Poster No. 1181. ORS 2011 Meeting.
- Oral, E. et, al. Trace amounts of grafted vitamin E protect UHMWPE against squalene-initiated oxidation. Poster No. 1295. ORS 2011 Meeting
- Rowell, S. et, al. Detection of Vitamin E in Irradiated UHMWPE by UV-Visible Spectroscopy. Poster No. 1186. ORS 2011 Meeting.
- Wolf, C. et, al. Radiation Grafting of Vitamin E to Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. Poster No. 1178. ORS 2011 Meeting.
- Pletcher, D. et al. Vitamin E Grafted HXPE Shows Superior Mechanical Property Retention Compared to Conventional UHMWPE and Sequentially Annealed HXP. Poster No. 1868, ORS 2014 Meeting.
- Zimmer ZRR _WA_2512_12
- Zimmer ZRR_WA_2401_11, Rev. 2.
- Zimmer TM1140.98
Meeting the long-term performance needs of high demand patients
Zimmer Biomet developed Vivacit-E Vitamin E Highly Crosslinked Polyethylene with antioxidant protection to meet the long-term performance needs of high-demand patients.
- Hip Technologies
- Bearing Technologies
Builds on the legacy of Longevity® Highly Crosslinked Polyethylene with more than 13 years of clinical success.1
A Lifetime of Wear Resistance95%
Wear Reduction Over Conventional Polyethylene at 100 Million Cycles2
Oxidation or Significant Decline in Mechanical Properties0 signs
When subjected to accelerated aging for 33 weeks7
Exceptional Oxidative Stability
- It’s widely accepted that oxidation is a primary aging mechanism of polyethylene, which can lead to osteolysis and implant failure. The oxidative stability of Vivacit-E HXPE is the result of a proprietary process that grafts (locks) vitamin E directly to the polyethylene chain.3-6 The vitamin E continuously stabilizes the material to prevent oxidative degradation of the polyethylene. When subjected to accelerated aging for 33 weeks (16 times the industry standard), Vivacit-E HXPE showed no signs of oxidation or significant decline in mechanical properties.7
- In tests on 2 week-aged 40 mm articulation size Vivacit-E liners and Longevity liners, Vivacit-E liners showed ultra-low wear rates comparable to Longevity liners.8
- Antioxidant protection eliminates the need to remelt the polyethylene, leading to an improvement in strength in comparison to highly crosslinked polyethylene.9
- The vitamin E in Vivacit-E HXPE prevents oxidation, resulting in mechanical strength that is retained after accelerated aging for more than 16 times the 2-week industry standard test according to ASTM F2003.7,9,10
1800 West Center Street
Warsaw, Indiana 46580 USA
Tailored resources for your patients.
Find videos, articles, and interactive content to guide your patients throughout their surgical journey on ReadyPatient.com, our dedicated patient recovery site.
All content herein is protected by copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property rights, as applicable, owned by or licensed to Zimmer Biomet or its affiliates unless otherwise indicated, and must not be redistributed, duplicated or disclosed, in whole or in part, without the express written consent of Zimmer Biomet.
This material is intended for health care professionals. Distribution to any other recipient is prohibited.
For product information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse effects and patient counseling information, see the package insert and information on this website. To obtain a copy of the current Instructions for Use (IFU) for full prescribing and risk information, please call 1-800-348-2759, press 4 for 411 Technical Support.