Offering two distinct, anatomically contoured plate designs
Addressing simple to complex calcaneus fractures
The MIS plates are specifically designed for a small incision using a sinus tarsi approach. The mesh plates combine an MIS plate design with a locking calcaneus plate design that address comminuted fractures that require plate strength and the ability to insert screws around the perimeter of the plate.
- Hindfoot: Calcaneus Fracture, Medial Calcaneal Slide
The A.L.P.S. Minimally-Invasive and Mesh Calcaneus Plating System features two distinct and anatomically contoured plate designs that address a variety of calcaneus fractures, while meeting the stress requirements present in the trabecular anatomy of the calcaneus. These titanium plates offer TiMAX® surface treatment for the benefit of increased fatigue strength compared to 316L Electropolished Stainless Steel, Type I Anodized titanium, and machined titanium.1 Anatomic screw trajectories are designed to maximize screw position and limit intra-articular and neurovascular compromise.
Carbon Fiber Targeting Guide
The distinct and simple-to-use carbon fiber targeting guides (small and large) are designed to accurately target the sustentaculum tali to maximize screw purchase and trajectory to limit injury to tendinous and neurovascular structures, while limiting intra-articular screw placement. The targeting guides are rigid for accurate screw insertion, radiolucent for enhanced x-ray visualization, and allow for percutaneous screw placement.
The anatomic shape of the plate allows screw trajectories to correspond to the complicated anatomy of the calcaneus. The subtalar joint line helps to direct the trajectory of the initial screw into the substantial bone of the sustentaculum tali. Screw trajectories could be slightly varied (outside of the targeting guide) with either 3.5 mm Multi-Directional Locking Screws or 3.5 mm Low Profile Non-Locking Screws. Anatomic screw trajectories are designed to maximize screw position and limit intra-articular and neurovascular compromise as can be seen in the below views.
Plates - Ti-6Al-4V ELI, Type 2 Anodized Titanium Alloy
MIS (Minimally Invasive) – Left/Right
- MIS Plates:
- Small – Standard, 2-Hole
- Large - Standard, 2-Hole Extended,
- Small – Standard, 2-Hole Extended
- MESH Plates:
- Small, Large, X-Large
- Plate Thickness: 2mm
- MIS Plate Lengths:
- Small Standard – 38mm
- Large Standard – 42mm
- Small 2-Hole Extended – 59mm
- Large 2-Hole Extended – 64mm
- Large 3-Hole Extended – 72mm
- Small – 75mm
- Large – 82mm
- X-Large – 89mm
- 2.7, 3.5, 4.0mm Locking
- 2.7mm (Lengths: 10-50mm)
- 3.5mm (Lengths: 10-70mm)
- 4.0mm (Lengths:
- 3.5mm Non-Locking Low
- Lengths: 10-70mm
- Lengths: 10-70mm
- 3.5mm Multi-Directional (MDS)
- Lengths: 10-60mm
- These two new plate designs expand upon Zimmer Biomet’s existing non-locking perimeter plate and the A.L.P.S. locking calcaneus plate portfolio therefore providing comprehensive plating options for calcaneus fracture management.
- MIS plates are designed to meet the needs of a variety of calcaneus fractures. Small and large standard plates are designed for intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus, whereas the small extended 2-Hole, large extended 2-Hole, and large extended 3-Hole plates are designed for more comminuted fractures that require posterior fixation. These anatomically contoured plates are not designed to be bent or altered by the surgeon. Adequate reduction of the calcaneus will allow good plate/bone apposition. Modification of the plate will alter targeting guide alignment.
- The Mesh plates are a hybrid of the MIS and A.L.P.S. Locking Calcaneus plates, and are designed to address comminuted fractures where additional screw options may be required. The Mesh plates provide both strength to the inner area of the plate, and flexibility with perimeter F.A.S.T. Tabs that can be contoured to the calcaneus anatomy as needed. In addition, the anterior F.A.S.T. Tabs allow the surgeon to place screws into the cuboid, thus spanning the comminuted anterior process of the calcaneus.
- The A.L.P.S. portfolio offers multiple screw options including 2.7 mm, 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm locking screws that can be inserted into any locking hole, giving the surgeon intraoperative flexibility. In addition to these locking screw designs, a cobalt chrome 3.5 mm Multi-Directional Locking Screw is available when the fixed trajectory of the screw hole may not be ideal. This allows the surgeon to direct the screw up to 15 degrees (30 degree cone of angulation) off center. A 3.5 mm Low Profile Non-Locking Cortical Screw is also available to compress the plate to the bone. The design of this screw allows the head to sit level with the plate hole as shown in the illustration below.
Connect and customize pre, peri and post-operative orthopedic hip ecosystems across the episode of care.
mymobility® with Apple Watch®
Digital care management platform that uses iPhone® and Apple Watch® to help you deliver support and guidance to your patients through a connected experience. Mymobility® delivers continuous data and patient-reported feedback to facilitate care, outcomes and satisfaction about your patients’ surgical preparation and recovery.
These two new plate designs expand upon Zimmer Biomet’s existing non-locking perimeter plate and the A.L.P.S. locking calcaneus plate portfolio therefore providing comprehensive plating options for calcaneus fracture management.
A.L.P.S.® MIS MESH Surgical Technique Animation
MIS Calcaneus Repair with A.L.P.S.® Calcaneus Fracture Plate with Jordan P. Grossman, D.P.M.
Apple Watch and iPhone are trademarks of Apple, Inc., registered in the US and other countries.
56 East Bell Drive
P.O. Box 587
Warsaw, Indiana 46581 USA
Tailored resources for your patients.
Find videos, articles, and interactive content to guide your patients throughout their surgical journey on ReadyPatient.com, our dedicated patient recovery site.
All content herein is protected by copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property rights, as applicable, owned by or licensed to Zimmer Biomet or its affiliates unless otherwise indicated, and must not be redistributed, duplicated or disclosed, in whole or in part, without the express written consent of Zimmer Biomet.
This material is intended for health care professionals. Distribution to any other recipient is prohibited.
For product information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse effects and patient counseling information, see the package insert or contact your local representative; search this website for additional product information. To obtain a copy of the current Instructions for Use (IFU) for full prescribing and risk information, please call 1-800-348-2759, press 4 for 411 Technical Support.